Was Daniel 9:24 fulfilled in A.D. 70 or A.D. 33?

PRETERIST BIBLE COMMENTARY Forums Forum Was Daniel 9:24 fulfilled in A.D. 70 or A.D. 33?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

Though I believe that Don Preston is a great preterist scholar and advocate for the preterist view and I cite his ideas often in my commentaries, I disagree with his view concerning the seventy weeks of Daniel. Dr. Preston believes that the seventy weeks of Daniel 9 were fulfilled in A.D. 70. All other preterist and futurist scholars that I have read to date see the seventy weeks as having been fulfilled in the crucifixion, and I agree with them. I wish to address one of Preston’s arguments in this post. In The Hymenaean Heresy: Reverse the Charges pp. 44-52, Dr. Preston argues that Daniel 9:24 was fulfilled in A.D. 70. Daniel 9:24 reads, “Seventy ‘sevens’ are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the Most Holy Place.” Citing 1 Corinthians 15:55-56, Preston argues that sin was finally forgiven at the resurrection in A.D. 70. 1 Corinthians 15:55-56 reads, “’Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?’ The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.” Though it is possible that sin may be finally forgiven at the resurrection, 1 Corinthians 15:55-56 doesn’t explicitly say this. It is quite possible that sin was forgiven at the crucifixion and that is when the sting of death was removed. In fact Hebrews 9:28 appears to explicitly indicate that sin was removed at the cross and NOT at the resurrection: “[S]o Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.” Recall that the resurrection and Parousia are concurrent events (1 Thessalonians 4:16). Also for a detailed argument that “to seal up vision and prophecy” does not point to the fulfilment of all end time prophecy in A.D. 70 as Preston also argues but rather points to the breaking of the seven seals of the scroll of Revelation 5 in A.D. 33 see https://revelationrevolution.org/daniel-9-24-27-commentary-daniel-9-miraculously-fulfilled/.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.