Does Daniel 12:5-7 Imply all Prophecy Must be Fulfilled by A.D. 70?

PRETERIST BIBLE COMMENTARY Forums Forum Does Daniel 12:5-7 Imply all Prophecy Must be Fulfilled by A.D. 70?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

Daniel 12:5-7 reads,

“Then I, Daniel, looked, and there before me stood two others, one on this bank of the river and one on the opposite bank. One of them said to the man clothed in linen, who was above the waters of the river, “How long will it be before these astonishing things are fulfilled?” The man clothed in linen, who was above the waters of the river, lifted his right hand and his left hand toward heaven, and I heard him swear by him who lives forever, saying, “It will be for a time, times and half a time. When the power of the holy people has been finally broken, all these things will be completed.”

The “time, times and half a time” of v. 7 before which “all these things will be completed” is the three and a half year interval in which the Flavians besieged Palestine until the fall of Jerusalem in A.D. 70. Many assume that absolutely all end time prophecy must be fulfilled by this time. However, verse 7 just says at the completion of these three and a half years “all these things will be fulfilled.” “All these things” are all the things mentioned before this verse which were the resurrection of the dead and all the events of Revelation 11 leading up to that. All these events including the resurrection were, in fact, fulfilled by A.D. 70. But one cannot assume from this statement alone that there are not still prophecies that might be fulfilled slightly after A.D. 70 like the death of the beast in A.D. 96.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.